MWM

MWM is an engineering company domiciled in Mannheim. Its history started, when Carl Benz and August Ritter founded the „Mechanische Werkstätte Mannheim“ back in 1871. In 1878 one after another the first gas engine, the first stationary gas power unit and the first two-stroke cross clamp engine were invented here. Five years later the „oHg Benz&Co., Rheinische Gasmotorenfabrik“ was founded in Mannheim.
In 1886 the so called patent-motor vehicle was produced. It was the first vehicle with combustion engine and electronic ignition. In 1899 the company was renamed in „Benz&Cie, Rheinische Gasmotorenfabrik AG“. One year later it became with circa 2000 produced vehicles the biggest automobile manufacturer of the world.
In 1910 the production of own diesel engines started. In 1922 the department for the production of stationary engines was outsourced into the new founded company „Motorenwerke Mannheim“. The main task of this company became the production of diesel engines for agricultural machines and commercial vehicles. In 1924 the first tractor – called „Motorpferd“ - was produced. This vehicle was in the product program till 1931.
In 1926 the Knorr-Bremse AG acquired the majority of shares of the company. This company managed that MWM concentrated only on the production of bigger diesel engines. The engines were used for the combine harvesters of Class, as well as for the tractors of Renault, Fendt, Lanz, Bautz, Holder and Ritscher. Since 1953 due to the trend the first air cooled small diesel engines were produced.
In 1985 the Knorr-Bremse AG sold the company to the Deutz AG in Cologne, which kept the location in Mannheim. So MWM became one of the most important producer of commercial diesel engines in Germany, together with MAN and Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz (KHD). Furthermore Deutz enlarged the gas engine division.
In 2007 the company was bought up by 3i and renamed in MWM. Four years later 3i sold the company to Caterpillar.